Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Light at the end of the tunnel

The insomniatic manifestations return!

I am filled with both delight and despair.

Tommorrow I have to wake up at seven a.m. so I can log into Viking Web and sign up for next semester's classes. If I get into all the ones I want, I will be taking Differential Equations (MAT 304), Differential Geometry (MAT 420), World Religions (REL 100), and Introduction to the Physical World ( PHY 101).

As surprising as it is, I actually have graduation in sight pretty easily. After this semester it turns out I need twelve more classes. So if I take four this spring, four next fall, and four again next spring then I'll be a college graduate. I don't even have to worry about taking a class this summer! (I may take a class at Dalton anyway, because I am strange like that.) Well, it's easy in theory anyway, I still have to manage to pass the classes in question...but I don't think there will be a serious problem, as long as I don't get too cocky. How invigorating it is to hear this, that the 1st stage in my progression from college student to college professor is almost complete... it's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and even though there is a longer, darker tunnel past this one, there's still that light there. It's decently motivating, and I'm getting excited about the classes I get to take, as I seem to have progressed to some more interesting math courses... though I also seem to be regressing in my humanties and social science electives, hence the freshman theatre class I ended up with this semester... But ah well. I think I'm probably decently rounded out in those areas, and a little more of the basics to pad around my corners won't kill me. And World Religions will probably be decently interesting, provided everyone is (alert, alert, warning, transition into hippie pinko commie mode imminent) reasonable and tolerant and open to discussion. At least it's not being taught by Waskey. That man was the reason I never took a philosophy class at Dalton. It wouldn't have been worth the time or money.

3 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 6:14 PM, Blogger Trevor Record said...

The idea that I know some one who is going to be a physics/mathematics professor is sort of odd. Last weekend I was poking a friend of mine with a broom handle as he rolled around in a feral fit, holding a banana screaming "I have dignity". I just don't think of myself as the kind of guy who would be friendly with the math types.

 
At 10/26/2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Paula said...

If it makes you feel better, Trevor, I once chased my friend Amber around Wal-Mart screaming, "Wait, come back! I didn't mean it! I promise I won't strangle you and leave your body in the river!"

 
At 10/28/2005 9:58 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Congrats Paula! I'm glad you can almost grasp the next level. It's pleasant, isn't it, when you can actually understand how long something's gonna take.

A friend of mine is working on her Physics doctorate. Right now she's teaching at UCLA while she keeps schooling. What is it with sexy ladies and Physics?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home